In light of the current COVID-19 pandemic, we would like to share the overall diagnostic and treatment protocol published by the National Health Commission & State Administration of Traditional Chinese Medicine on March 3, 2020 (trial version 7): http://busan.china-consulate.org/chn/zt/4/P020200310548447287942.pdf. On March 23, the Chinese State Council Information Office further simplified the TCM approach into “Three Patent Medicines and Three Herbal Formulae” (三药三方): http://www.xinhuanet.com/politics/2020-03/18/c_1125729859.htm. These were found to be useful in combination with conventional treatment in helping recovery of COVID-19 patients in China:
I. Jinhua Qinggan Granules (金花清感颗粒)
- Composition: Jin Yin Hua (Flos Lonicerae Japonicae), Shi Gao (Gypsum), Ma Huang (Ephedrae Herba), Ku Xing Ren (Armeniacae Semen), Huang Qin (Radix Scutellariae Baicalensis), Lian Qiao (Forsythiae Fructus), Zhe Bei Mu (Bulbus Fritillariae Thunbergii), Zhi Mu (Rhizoma Anemarrhenae Asphodeloidis), Niu Bang Zi (Fructus Arctii Lappae), Qing Hao (Herba Artemesiae Annuae), Bo He (Herba Menthae Haplocalycis), Gan Cao (Radix Glycyrrhizae).
- Origin: developed during the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic.
- Application: patient with mild to moderate symptoms.
- Effects: expels Wind, opens Lung, clears Heat, resolves Toxins, anti-pyretic, improves lymphocyte count and WBC count, and prevents disease progression.
- Dosage: 1 sache (5g), 3 times daily.
II. Lianhua Qingwen Capsules/Granules (莲花清瘟胶囊颗粒)
- Composition: Lian Qiao (Forsythiae Fructus), Jin Yin Hua (Flos Lonicerae Japonicae), Zhi Ma Huang (Ephedrae Herba), Guan Zhong (Herba Guanzhong), Ban Lan Gen (Herba Guanzhong), Shi Gao (Gypsum), Bo He Nao (Herba Menthae Crystal), Huo Xiang (Pogostemonis Herba), Hong Jing Tian (Radix Rhodiola Rosea), Yu Xing Cao (Herba Houttuyniae), Da Huang(Radix et Rhizoma Rhei), Xing Ren (Armeniacae Semen), Gan Cao (Radix Glycyrrhizae).
- Origin: derived from classical formulae Ma Xing Shi Gan Tang and Yin Qiao San.
- Application: patient with mild to moderate symptoms.
- Effects: clears pestilence, resolves Toxins, opens the Lung, drains Heat, shortens duration of fever/cough/fatigue, prevents disease progression, and improves the rate of negative RT-PCR result
- Dosage: 1 sache (6g), 3 times daily; or 4 capsules, 3 times daily.
III. Xuebijing Injection (血必净注射液)
- Composition: extraction of Hong Hua (Carthami Flos), Chi Shao Yao (Radix Peoniae Rubrae), Chuan Xiong (Rhizoma Ligustici Chuanxiong), Dan Shen (Radix Salviae Miltiorrhizae), Dang Gui (Radix Angelicae Sinensis).
- Origin: developed during the 2003 SARS epidemic
- Application: for severe and critical patients with cytokine syndrome, sepsis, or multi-organ failure.
- Effects: resolves Blood Stasis and Toxins, suppresses systemic inflammatory responses, improves organ functions, reduces death rate.
- Dosage: 100ml Xuebijing in 250ml of 0.9% sodium chloride over 1-2 hours, 2-3 times daily.
- Adverse reaction: mild or sever allergies may be seen in 0.3% of patients
IV. Lung Cleansing and Detoxifying Decoction/Qingfei Paidu Tang (清肺排毒汤)
- Basic formula: Ma Huang (Ephedrae Herba) 9g, Zhi Gan Cao (Glycyrrhizae Radix) 6g, Xing Ren (Armeniacae Semen) 9g, Sheng Shi Gao (Gypsum fibrosum, decocted first) 15-30g, Gui Zhi (Cinnamomi Ramulus) 9g, Ze Xie (Alismatis Rhizoma) 9g, Zhu Ling (Polyporus) 9g, Bai Zhu (Atractylodis macrocephalae Rhizoma) 9g, Fu Ling (Poria) 15g, Chai Hu (Bupleuri Radix) 16g, Huang Qin (Scutellariae Radix) 6g, Jiang Ban Xia (Pinellinae Rhizoma Praeparatum) 9g, Sheng Jiang (Zingiberis Rhizoma recens) 9g, Zi Wan (Asteris Radix) 9g, Kuan Dong Hua (Farfarae Flos)9g, She Gan (Belamcandae Rhizoma) 9g, Xi Xin (Asari Radix et Rhizoma) 6g, Shan Yao (Dioscoreae Rhizoma) 12g, Zhi Shi (Aurantii Fructus immaturus) 6g, Chen Pi (Citri reticulatae Pericarpium) 6g, Huo Xiang (Pogostemonis Herba) 9g.
- Origin: derived from several formulae in <Treatise on Cold Damage Diseases>, written by Zhang Zhongjing
- Application: patient with mild, moderate, severe, or critical symptoms.
- Effects: opens the Lung, expels Evils, clears Heat, resolves Dampness, tonifies Spleen, drains Fluid, improves fever/cough/fatigue and lung condition on CT scan.
- Dosage: decoct one package per day and take in divided doses (about 40 minutes after meal once in the morning and once evening). One course of treatment consists of three packages (3 days).
V. Huashi Baidu Formula (化湿败毒方)
- Basic formula: Sheng Ma Huang (Ephedrae Herba) 6g, Xing Ren (Armeniacae Semen) 9g, Sheng Shi Gao (Gypsum fibrosum) 15g, Gan Cao (Glycyrrhizae Radix) 3g, Huo Xiang (Pogostemonis Herba, added later) 10g, Hou Po (Magnoliae officinalis Cortex)10g, Cang Zhu (Atractylodis Rhizoma) 15g, Cao Guo (Tsaoko Fructus) 10g, Fa Ban Xia (Pinellinae Rhizoma Praeparatum) 9g, Fu Ling (Poria) 15g, Sheng Da Huang(Rhei Radix et Rhizoma, added later) 5g, Sheng Huang Qi (Astragali Radix) 10g, Ting Li Zi (Lepidii/Descurainiae Semen) 10g, Chi Shao (Paeoniae Radix rubra)10g.
- Origin: developed by the national traditional Chinese medicine team from the China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences based on the experiences from clinical practice at Wuhan Jinyintan Hospital.
- Application: patient with mild, moderate, or severe symptoms.
- Effects: neutralizes Toxins, resolves Dampness, clears Heat, calms Chuan (shortness of breath), shortens the length of hospital stay, improves clinical symptoms and lung condition on CT scan.
- Dosage: decoct 1-2 packages per day and take in divided doses (2-4 times per day). Administer orally or via NG tube.
VI. Xuanfei Baidu Formula (宣肺败毒方)
- Basic formula: Sheng Ma Huang (Ephedrae Herba) 6g, Ku Xing Ren (Armeniacae Semen)15g, Sheng Shi Gao (Gypsum fibrosum) 30g, Sheng Yi Yi Ren (Coicis Semen) 30g, Mao Cang Zhu (Atractylodis Rhizoma) 10g, Guang Huo Xiang (Pogostemonis Herba)15g, Qing Hao Cao (Artemisiae annuae Herba) 12g, Hu Zhang (Polygoni cuspidate Rhizoma) 20g, Ma Bian Cao (Verbenae Herba) 30g, Gan Lu Gen (Phragmitis Rhizoma)30g, Ting Li Zi (Lepidii/Descurainiae Semen) 15g, Hua Ju Hong (Citri grandis Exocarpium rubrum) 15g, Sheng Gan Cao (Glycyrrhizae Radix) 10g.
- Origin: derived from classical formulas Ma Xing Shi Gan Tang and Ma Xing Yi Gan Tang, etc.
- Application: patient with mild or moderate symptoms.
- Effects: opens the Lung, resolves Dampness, clears Heat, expels Evils, drains the Lung, neutralizes Toxins, shortens the time to symptoms resolution and prevents disease aggravation/progression.
- Dosage: decoct 1 package per day and take in two divided doses (once in the morning and once in the evening).
The TCM formulae above represent a starting reference and can be modified or customized to individual patients for maximal benefits